Established as a mountain resort in 1889, Blowing Rock, NC has been a haven for vacationers for over a century. As a year round resort, this small village provides a wonderful variety of leisure and recreation activities.
The spectacular vistas surrounding Blowing Rock, NC are not to be missed, especially during the fall. During the winter, the village becomes a beautiful “wonderland” backdrop for cross country skiing at Moses Cones Park or downhill skiing at one of the many nearby ski resorts. Add to all this specialty shops, galleries, horseback riding, golf, tennis, whitewater rafting and canoeing. And don’t forget the breathtaking views and photo opportunities along many Blue Ridge Parkway trails and mountains which include world famous Grandfather Mountain and the “Mile High Swinging Bridge”.
- The Blowing Rock – The Blowing Rock, North Carolina’s oldest travel attraction since 1933, is an immense cliff 4,000 feet above sea level overhanging Johns River Gorge 3,000 feet below. Open all year weather permitting in Blowing Rock, North Carolina. Scenic attraction. Views of gorge, gift shop and snack shop.
- The Blowing Rock Community Arts Center – Theater, music, dance, film, children’s workshop, and visual arts.
- The Blowing Rock Stage Company – Evening performances 8:15. Sunday matinee 3pm. Plays are held at the Blowing Rock Arts Center on Sunset Drive in Blowing Rock. The Box Office is located on Maple Street in Blowing Rock. Mid June-early August.
- Frescoes of Ashe County – Located in two Episcopal Churches. Ben Long, Artist, Glendale Springs and West Jefferson.
- Grandfather Mountain – Mile-high swinging bridge, animal habitat, nature museum, food and hiking.
- Grandfather Trout Farm – Fishing, gem mining, and more.
- Horn In The West – Outdoor drama. June 30-Aug. 16. Nightly at 8:30 pm except Monday.
- Linville Caverns – Tours of underground caverns. Hwy 221 between Linville and Marion.
- Linville Falls – Two falls plunge into Linville Gorge. 1/2 mile hike to falls. Open year round.
- Mast General Store – Building on National Register of Historical Places. Retail store and mail order. Historical site in Valle Crucis and annex store in Boone. Open year round.
- Moses Cone Estate & Parkway Craft Center – Crafts for sale, hiking trails. MP 294 on Blue Ridge Parkway.
- Mystery Hill – Scenic, optical illusions and natural phenomenon. Mystery is a family oriented “edutainment” center that offers fun for children ages 2 to 102.
- Tweetsie Railroad – Visit North Carolina’s first theme park, and take a trip back into the days of the Old West.
- USA Raft Nolichucky and French Broad Rivers – Whitewater rafting French Broad and Nolichucky Rivers near Blowing Rock, Asheville and Boone, NC.
- Ashe County Cheese Factory – Ashe County Cheese Inc. is open to visitors year-round who often come in to watch through a viewing room to see just how the cheese is made. Ashe County Cheese is the only cheese making plant in the area of its kind and possibly the only one in the state.
- Appalachian Ski Mountain
- Hawksnest Ski Resort
- Ski Beech
- Sugar Mountain Resort